|3 Months Ended|
Mar. 31, 2022
|Certain Transactions [Abstract]|
Note 3. Certain Transactions
Investment in Xaar 3D Ltd. ("Xaar 3D")
During the fourth quarter of 2019, the Company entered into an agreement with Xaar plc (“Xaar”) to purchase additional shares of Xaar 3D that was to increase its stake from 15 to 45 percent, with Xaar retaining the remaining 55 percent. Xaar and Stratasys had announced the formation of Xaar 3D Ltd in July 2018 for the purpose of developing Powder Bed Fusion (“PBF”) additive manufacturing solutions that Stratasys can bring to the market. In addition, the agreement included an option for Stratasys to acquire the remaining shares of Xaar 3D.
Following the additional investment, the Company considered the FASB guidance in accordance with ASC Topic 810 “Consolidation” regarding the propriety of implementing consolidation, for both the variable interest entity and voting model, or equity method accounting. The Company concluded that it should continue accounting for the investment according to the equity method, as it had retained the ability to exercise significant influence but did not control Xaar 3D. For its additional interest in Xaar 3D, the Company paid approximately $15.7 million.
The investment was presented under other non-current assets in the Company’s consolidated balance sheets.
On November 1, 2021 (the “Xaar 3D transaction date”) , the Company acquired the remaining 55% share of Xaar 3D, for an aggregate purchase price of $29.3 million. The Company paid cash upon closing and it is obligated to make additional earn-out payments and payments of royalties on products and services sales for up to 15 years.
The Xaar 3D transaction is reflected in accordance with ASC Topic 805, “Business Combinations”, using the acquisition method of accounting, with the Company as the acquirer. The Company accounted for the acquisition of the remaining equity of Xaar 3D as a step acquisition, which required re-measurement of the Company’s previous ownership interest to fair value prior to completing purchase accounting. Using step acquisition accounting, the Company increased the value of its previously-held equity investment to its fair value of $23.8 million, which resulted in a gain of approximately $14.4 million, recorded in the consolidated statements of operations in the fourth quarter of 2021. The acquisition of the remaining equity interest also resulted in the recognition of a previously unrealized foreign currency gain of $0.6 million, which was reclassified from accumulated other comprehensive income (OCI). The fair value of the previously held equity method investment was determined based upon a valuation of the acquired business, as of the date of acquisition, as detailed below.
The following table summarizes the fair value of the consideration transferred to Xaar 3D’s stockholders for the Xaar 3D transaction:
In accordance with ASC Topic 805, the estimated contingent consideration as of the Xaar 3D transaction date was included in the purchase price. The total contingent payments could reach a maximum aggregate amount of up to $21 million. The estimated fair value of the contingent consideration is based on management’s assessment of whether, and at what level, the financial metrics will be achieved, and the present value factors associated with the timing of the payments. This fair value measurement is based on significant unobservable inputs in the market and thus represents a Level 3 measurement within the fair value hierarchy. Changes in the fair value of contingent consideration will be recorded in operating expenses.
The following table summarizes the estimated fair values of the assets acquired and liabilities assumed at the Xaar 3D transaction date. The estimated fair values are preliminary and based on the information that was available as of November 1, 2021. Thus, the measurements of fair value that are reflected are subject to changes, and such changes could be significant. The preliminary allocation of the purchase price to assets acquired and liabilities assumed is as follows:
On February 16, 2021 the Company acquired RP Support Limited (“RPS”), a provider of industrial stereolithography 3D printers and solutions. In exchange for 100% of the outstanding shares of RPS, the Company paid cash upon closing and is obligated to make additional payments (in cash), subject to performance-based criteria, via earn-out payments over two years.
Marketable equity investment
The entity in which the Company invested
The Company will account for the investment, in the combined company according to the equity method in accordance with ASC topic 323, as it has retained the ability to exercise significant influence but does not control the new entity.